Lambeth College dates from 1893/4 and was known as St Olaves’ Grammar School.
The building contains a three-storey hall with school classrooms arranged at ground floor and at 1st floor opening off a balcony.
The school hall is to be used as a restaurant and event space and the fire strategy employed has allowed guests to continue to access their rooms from the balconies. Other rooms of note are the governor’s room at the ground floor with panelled walls and an elaborate plaster ceiling, to be used as a cocktail bar, and the headmaster’s office at the 1st floor to be converted to a suite. The later west wing was added in1896.
Both sections of the building were designed by the architect Edward Mountford in a Queen Anne style and the building is grade II listed. The earlier section includes a grand façade facing Tooley Street with full height pilasters to the south elevation marking the hall within.
The hotel scheme has incorporated a mezzanine floor within the existing roofline to provide an additional storey of bedroom accommodation. Additional dormer windows have been added to provide light to the new bedrooms and the rear façade modified to agree with the new interventions and provide a structure to a previously disorganised element of the building.