We celebrate after an 18-month closure, The Belvedere’s reopening.
The Belvedere occupies the site of the former stables, built for Holland House in 1638. The original structure, of which the curtilage wall remains, was added to in the 18th and 19th Century when it became a celebrated ballroom and venue for salons and parties, attracting famous literary and artistic guests whose behaviour remains as much a part of the building’s history as its romantic appearance and details.
The building includes the eponymous belltower, the original brick arcade, glazed, leaded arched windows and a private dining room overlooking the main volume. The first floor provides a further salon, private dining room and terrace overlooking the formal gardens and fountain.
Archer Humphryes were appointed by George Bukhov-Weinstein and Ilya Demichev to design the restaurant’s interior following its closure in the pandemic. The project included the removal of fittings and finishes from its’ numerous previous incarnations, revealing the beauty of the original brickwork. Celebrating both its history and forming a dramatic 2-story dining room with a colonnade opening onto the park.
The new design creates an authentic interior design. The room has been filled with palms and fig trees, laid out alongside the bespoke furniture designed by the architects and manufactured by Fratelli Boffi. The upstairs salon is arranged around a central fireplace with wall-hugging banquettes and fabric-lined ceilings. The cocktail bar is upholstered in a Duncan Grant Charleston cloud print famed as part of The Bloomsbury set. The ground floor accommodates 60 diners with views of vistas across the park and the first floor salon, lit through a colonnade of venetian windows, seats a further 20.